On completion of this course learners will have an understanding on the concepts of health and safety and be familiar with the core legislation in the area of Safety Health and Welfare within the workplace. learners will understand how to apply various safety techniques with the main aim of accident prevention and risk reduction. learners will also cover the key principles of manual handling, fire warden, and VDU/DSE assessment. Successful completion of the component award will enable learners to transfer to programmes leading to other major certificates where this component is a mandatory or elective requirement.
Learners will be able to:
- Analyse the duties of employers and employees as specified in current Safety, Health and Welfare at work legislation
- Examine the role of the Health and Safety Authority
- Explore the role of communication and training in the promotion and provision of health and safety in the workplace
- Comment on the elements and functions of the safety statement
- Explain the causes, prevention, emergency procedures
- Analyse the causes and prevention of fire related events
- Comment on specific hazards and risks when working with equipment
- Investigate how personal protective equipment (PPE) is used in the workplace
- Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials
- Investigate risk factors in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink and drugs
- Promote safe and healthy working practices in relation to oneself
Safety and Health at Work (5N1794) is completed over six full days 48 hours in total, 2 hours of pre-course questionnaire, 60 hours of non contact learning which will be assisted by the course provider with course reading material that will assist learners in completing their two assignments which are 40 hours in total of non contact learning. Total duration of the course is 150 hours.
Certificate QQI Level 5 Safety and Health at Work
In the unlikely event of a course failing to reach any minimum student number, you will be offered a full refund or a place on the next available course.